[MPlayer-dev-eng] Developing frontend with mplayer

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Mar 18 00:50:44 CET 2009

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 07:04:57AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:

>>> It is the correct list, it's just your quoting that is wrong.
>>
>> This is the correct list for development of applications which use
>> MPlayer?
>>
>> I thought that this list was reserved for development of MPlayer
>> itself, nothing else, and that we did not provide any list (or
>> other discussion forum) for the development of "applications which
>> use MPlayer" beyond the three 'users' lists. Was I mistaken?
>
> Questions about programming frontends etc. have been ontopic here in
> the past.

Hm. I don't remember noticing any, but okay.

> You are probably thinking of FFmpeg where the volume of such
> questions got so great that the topic was moved to a separate list.

I remember that in the FFmpeg case, they used to always say "that's
offtopic on -devel, ask on -user" the same way they would for any other
non-development-of-FFmpeg question, but eventually they created
libav-user to avoid having people think "well, I'm writing code, so I'm
not a user" - IOW, it was never ontopic for the development list.

I had had the impression that the only reason that didn't happen for
MPlayer is that, owing to the different nature of the project, the
frequency of the violations were so much lower. I am rather surprised to
learn that any of the major project figures considers it to be
otherwise...

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.