[MPlayer-dev-eng] Making mencoder encode and display video at the same time

Jesse L. Zamora xtremek2009 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:38:59 CET 2009

On Monday 02 March 2009 08:07:32 pm compn wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 16:47:06 -0500, Jesse L. Zamora wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >	I was going though the wishlist for mplayer, and I saw (on line 181) a
> > wish under the "Difficult stuff" section:
> >	* encode and display video at the same time
> >As a way to learn how mplayer & mencoder work (internally), I'd like to
> >implement this in mencoder. I think it would be helpful for video encoding
> >front-ends and stuff. So does anyone have suggestions or discussions on
> > how this should be done?
> >
> >Comments, suggestions, and discussions are welcome.
>
> well cleaning up mencoder and removing the duplicate code from it
> would be much appreciated ... :)
>
> there is a patch for ass subtitles in mencoder, be nice to have this.
> mencoder cant currently output h264 in any useful container. this is
> also a big problem.
>
> back to your original question of encoding and viewing at the same time
> here are some ideas from the lists:
>
> 1. combine mplayer+mencoder so you can use -vo xv to display+encode
>
> 2. remove mencoder, add encoding to mplayer (see -vo yuv4mpeg)
>
> 3. create a video filter or fifo to send video?
> (see http://onebithq.com/root/mplayer/videomixer )
>
> its possible i got some of this information about mencoder wrong, so
> dont take my word as correct.
>
> -compn

Thanks for the reply.

I like the approach of combining both Mplayer and Mencoder into one. But, I
don't think I know enough about Mplayer and Mencoder to do it succfully, but I
think first I'll try to do approach 3 (create a fifo), even though it might
not amount to anything much in the end.

Also, I was thinking that if I combine Mplayer and Mencoder, then it probably
would be possible to start recording from a TV device (using tv://) without
stopping mplayer, just have it start from the point it's at with a command
like "record -oac lavc -ovc lavc -o ~/Videos/Movie.avi" or something.....

I'll be looking at the code.

Thanks again,
Jesse L. Zamora