[MPlayer-dev-eng] H.264 decoder compatibility with MPlayer

Alok Dandekar alok.dandekar at habeyusa.com
Sat Jun 13 01:29:24 CEST 2009

Dear MPlayer development team,

We are a hardware manufacturer that designs and manufactures embedded and
small form factor computers based on the x86 platform. We are looking for
software partners to possibly integrate our latest hardware decoding
technology with the MPlayer platform for HD video playback.

A couple months ago, we released a series of embedded boards/systems based
on a Broadcom hardware decoder chip. It is a non GPU based decoder and uses
only 2W of power. These platforms are capable of playing full HD (1080p)
h.264, WMV9, VC-1, and Blu-ray videos with less than 30% CPU usage.

http://www.engadget.com/tag/BIS-6540HD/

http://www.engadget.com/tag/BIS-6550HD/

Attached is the datasheet of the Broadcom chip we are using in this
platform. It is used in many notebook computers from HP and Dell. It is much
more efficient than many of the current GPU's on HD video playback in terms
of power usage and CPU usage.

We can provide the hardware platform, Windows based driver and Directshow
filter for the decoder chip.  We can also provide the Linux driver, driver
source code and Gstreamer plug-in, plug-in source code.

Could you point me a direction what we can do next with the MPlayer team on
integrating this new hardware decoder function to your player software?

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Alok Dandekar
Habey USA