[MPlayer-dev-eng] Remove libass

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Jul 27 12:22:55 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:16:31AM +0200, Grigori Goronzy wrote:
> Attached is a patch that removes the internal libass (except actually
> deleting the libass directory) and adds support for using the standalone
> libass.
>
> There are a few possible problems.
> * It's not possible to statically link libass into the mplayer binary at
> the moment.

Building a dependency library regularly causes issue e.g. on Windows.
I know there are reasons to hate it very much, but IMHO for core features
at least allowing to use svn:external variants is highly useful, both for
making it easy for users to build with (a current version) of this feature
as well as making it easier to do debugging/bug fixing.

> * EOSD is not available without libass support.

I think this is a very bad idea.
Particularly since I don't really see a reason for it, almost all of the
CONFIG_ASS #ifdefs in the vos adds code bloat (in addition to removing EOSD)
for no good reason at all.
I don't think the vos should depend on any structs from libass if that is the issue,
these should be converted in some MPlayyer-specific code if neccessary, otherwise
we risk that a single incompatible API change in libass means you have to change
code in all EOSD-capable vos instead of one single place.