[MPlayer-dev-eng] libass behavior when PlayResX & PlayResY are missing in ass subs

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Jan 14 18:45:01 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 19:14 +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 11:59 -0500, Ergzay wrote:
> > On Jan 14, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > > Do you have such samples? I've seen samples that break if you assume
>
> > Yes I have a couple. A 50 megabyte sample of one is uploading to ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/
> > Filename is hyakko_04.mkv. Problem is seen first at 2:04.
> > And actually this is an interesting example. Mplayer states there
> > isn't a PlayRes set but it is set in the file, but it seems to ignore
> > it.
>
> I couldn't check the file yet (the crappy permissions system still
> hasn't set the correct access), but based on your description it sounds
> like this file does NOT have the kind of problem you complained about.

The file is readable now, and the problem seems to be that there is a
question mark at the start of the script, so that it begins with
'?[Script Info]'. That's visible when extracting the subtitles with
mkvextract, so it's not only an MPlayer demuxing error. That breaks
parsing of the [Script Info] section where PlayResX and PlayResY are
specified.

So this has little to do with the correct default values to use when
PlayRes is not specified.