[MPlayer-dev-eng] libass behavior when PlayResX & PlayResY are missing in ass subs

Ergzay ergzay at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 17:59:52 CET 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Uoti Urpala wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 11:10 -0500, Ergzay wrote:
>> I know this topic is several months old, but something should be done
>> about this. One of the biggest areas in which the full features of
>> ssa/
>> ass fonts are used is in Anime/Japanese softsubs. The groups that do
>> these often use the full features of SSA and expect that PlayResX and
>> PlayResY if not defined, default to the current resolution of the
>> video. In fact I've gone and asked groups that release subs without
>> these that their files are bugged and when I say that I'm using
>> MPlayer they say that this is a known MPlayer bug. If not changing
>> the
>
> Do you have such samples? I've seen samples that break if you assume
> the
> script to use video dimensions instead of the default resolution, but
> not samples that behave as you describe.
>
> Such behavior does not seem very desirable either, as it would make
> the
> script break if used with a different resolution encode of the same
> program.

Yes I have a couple. A 50 megabyte sample of one is uploading to ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/
Filename is hyakko_04.mkv. Problem is seen first at 2:04.
And actually this is an interesting example. Mplayer states there
isn't a PlayRes set but it is set in the file, but it seems to ignore
it.