[MPlayer-dev-eng] [**13 ESSENTIAL PATCHES**] Libass enhancements that need to coincide with the new EOSD patches

Eric Appleman erappleman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 21:48:23 CET 2009

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> No, you need to get the attention of the right people.
> And to my knowledge that is basically Evgeniy Stepanovi, who is listed
> as the sole maintainer of libass.
> If for some reason he can not maintain it (though 1 week delay is not
> enough to count as that) we can look for someone who will either in
> addition or instead maintain it, but unless we see no other choice
> these things remain Evgeniy's decisions.

Well, I'd just feel terrible if FLOSS bureaucracy or inaction of duly
assigned maintainers was the sole reason that Greg's patches don't make
the deadline. Sometimes rules need to be bent for the sake of progress.
Aside from Evgeniy, Greg is the only person I know of that is competent
enough to give libass the tender love and care that it needs.

Take Ubuntu and Debian merge situation for example. The Ubuntu devs
currently have two choices: Maintain merged status with Debian and keep
the ext4 filesystem out of the next release or break with tradition and
include ext4, violating the merge. The devs chose the latter because it
was deemed appropriate.

- Eric