[MPlayer-dev-eng] Millisecond perfect seek.

Grigori G greg at chown.ath.cx
Tue Feb 10 16:35:47 CET 2009

Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> So, my question is, how would I go about implementing such a feature?
>> Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Transcode the content to a format that has only keyframes.

Wouldn't it be possible to seek to the keyframe before the wanted frame
and then decompress but discard all frames inbetween? This can be quite
slow, but it'd work.

This would also make my mencoder-based transcoding frontend a lot more
useful. (It's designed for cutting out snippets from video files or
DVDs. So far it's not very useful for files with keyframes only every 10
seconds or so)

Grigori