[MPlayer-dev-eng] Latest SVN doesn' compile on MinGW

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Feb 3 01:24:27 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 02:10:42AM +0200, Georgi Petrov wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Reimar Döffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> > Well, on "How this code got into the tree?": it was there for ages, it
> > was just broken by an FFmpeg change (admittedly by me), short-term
> > breakage can happen there...
>
> Huh... I don't blame you of course, I just wonder how the things work.
> Is FFmpeg's tree "external" to MPlayer? I mean - can a change in
> FFmpeg project reflect on MPlayer?

FFmpeg is a separate project, and we always use the latest version,
So of course changes to it can break MPlayer, particularly since in some
places we use internal API that may be changed without warning.

> Do you try to compile after each submit or this kind of mistake can
> happen because a "tree which MPlayer is externally linked to has
> changed"?

Well, hopefully you meant _compile before_ each commit. Sure, and in
this case I already had prepared the changes needed in MPlayer.
There are two issues: first those are different SVN trees, so those
are two commits and MPlayer is necessarily broken for a small time.
Secondly, had another change in the tree and so specified the file names
to commit and forgot that one file.
Note that in general I do not think that fixing MPlayer immediately is
something I _must_ do when I am acting as an FFmpeg developer, though
it is a good thing.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger