[MPlayer-dev-eng] A recent patch for ass support in mencoder

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Mon Feb 2 21:38:24 CET 2009

Hi.

As the author of part of the patch discussed in this thread, I ought to
intervene.

I would, of course, be glad to see ASS support in mencoder, but it must be
made explicit that this is an unstable feature. Apart from the fact that
fixpts is an ugly workaround for a more deeper problem, there is still a
memory leak in libass that is revealed by using it with mencoder: <URL:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/45426/focus=46120

Le quartidi 14 pluviôse, an CCXVII, compn a écrit :
> we need an mencoder maintainer, anyone want to take the job?

I already ranted about it, but this seems to be a good time to do it again:
I fear there will never be correct maintaining for mencoder. The way things
are done, mencoder has a lot of code that is duplicate from the mplayer main
loop but can not be shared due to architecture discrepancies. This state of
fact condemns mencoder to perpetual bitroting, regardless of the effort put
into it.

I think the best way out of it would be to make mplayer capable of encoding,
by plugging the audio and video encoders where the audio and video output
should go, and then transforming all mencoder-specific features into video
filters and so.

One advantage of this approach is that it does not break anything: during
the whole process, mencoder itself still works, not worst than now.

I have tried to look at the code, and already had a failed attempt, but I
see how I went wrong: I think this can be done. Unfortunately, I have not
enough time nowadays to work on it. But I will sometime.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George