[MPlayer-dev-eng] A recent patch for ass support in mencoder

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Feb 2 20:02:23 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 21:43 +0300, Evgeniy Stepanov wrote:
> On Monday 02 February 2009 03:55:38 rvm wrote:
> > El Domingo, 1 de Febrero de 2009 23:13, Eric Appleman escribió:
> > > Hi. I was wondering if the patch listed below was ever considered for
> > > incorporation. I know it may be slightly dated with respect to current
> > > revisions, but I believe it will be are a great template to work from.
> > >
> > > http://smplayer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/smplayer/mplayer-builds/patche
> > >s/ ass_support_for_mencoder_with_embeddedfonts.patch
> >
> > That patch was actually taken from this list:
> > http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2007-November/054656.ht
> >ml
> >
> > I just did a small modification so the option -embeddedfonts would work
> > with it.
>
> Well, this patch seems pretty harmless. All questionable functionality is
> disabled by default. Also, users love it :)
>
> I'm going to split and apply it in a few days unless anyone objects.

I think it's at least worth noting that MEncoder timing will stay broken
with that patch. If you try to create hardsubbed versions with it then
timing will most likely be off by a frame or two, breaking scene timing.
The fixpts filter in the patch can be used to generate timestamps but it
only works with non-vfr material and may require configuration for that
case too. So the patch will not quite "make subtitles with MEncoder just
work"; if people start using it there will likely be broken files as a
result.