[MPlayer-dev-eng] release alongside FFmpeg

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Feb 2 17:38:20 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 05:19:15PM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> no, in 2 weeks there's still a 13-days timeframe during which the code
> won't be in sync and we'll have to waste time and bandwidth repeating
> the usual stuff.
> Trying to fit with the habits of packagers leads nowhere IMO, for this
> reason I *never* do releases

I basically agree and would be in favour of just waiting however many
years it takes for everyone to "get" it, but this seems to be quite
un-popular, so the next best thing that gives everyone there releases
(even when they seem unable to state what they want them for) is to
release frequently, without binary packages and with minimal effort and
quality control, unless someone volunteers to do it.
I strongly protest against returning to "less than one release a year"
though.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger