[MPlayer-dev-eng] release alongside FFmpeg

Georgi Petrov gogothebee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 17:10:48 CET 2009

> Is it so important what diSAstros package?

Yes. Perhaps most people use exactly what their distro packages and
very few download from svn and compile. Imagine what would be like to
have for example mass deployment of VDPAU one year after it's ready?
It would be a waste.

>Whether users report bugs preset in a  1-day old or 1-year old release is irrelevant: they'll be still using old code.

Well, changing to a 2 week-release cycle and starting from 1.0 means
that most distros will send updates to all users few hours/days after
a new 1.x release is released.

Then the answer to "I have xyz bug in my Ubuntu's MPlayer-1.10" would
be "run apt-get update, because it's fixed in 1.11".