[MPlayer-dev-eng] release alongside FFmpeg

Georgi Petrov gogothebee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 16:57:52 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 05:27:07PM +0200, Georgi Petrov wrote:
>> I agree as well. If MPlayer adopts the 'WINE release method' is every
>> new release going to be called 'MPlayer-1.0RC-YYYYMMDD' or more like
>> 'MPlayer-0.99.1', 'MPlayer-0.99.2' and so on?
>
> I'd just go with
> 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 ...
> You know, leaving 1.0 out means we don't have to discuss what special
> features we need in order to call it 1.0...

Sound good, if others agree as well. Then perhaps you could
"synchronize" the "final" 'MPlayer-1.0' with the next FFmpeg version
(weekend 2009-02-21/22 release)?

This release cycle will make possible for distros to upgrade the
included MPlayer version much faster and completely resolves for
example the VDPAU problem.

Ship 1.0 with VDPAU initial support for example and make it better in
1.1, 1.2 or ship without VDPAU in the beginning (just to synchronize
1.0 with FFmpeg), but add VDPAU in 1.1 or later.