[MPlayer-dev-eng] Cleaning up incoming

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Dec 21 11:16:37 CET 2009

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 17:07:02 +0200
Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 15:11 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> > > I'm against that. Making the partition smaller to intentionally cause
> > > out-of-space problems is just that - intentionally and unnecessarily
> > > causing problems where none existed before.
> >
> > No, it solves the problems of people leaving (possibly important) samples
> > in incoming until nobody knows anymore what they were there for and why.
>
> You're claiming it would "solve" the problems, but the only thing it'd
> directly do is cause _much worse_ problems. Ability to upload new
> samples is much higher priority than keeping years-old samples, so
> endangering the former for the sake of the latter is a bad idea.

Erhmm.. haven't you been reading what i wrote? We are already at
that stage. I limited the growth of the samples partition because
nobody sorted any files. But that has issues with sorting in samples
and Reimars proposal solves this issue while allowing me to keep
a tab on how big incoming grows.

> You're obviously hoping that incoming running out of space would
> motivate people to sort the samples.

It did motivate people. Bu they got shot down for various reasons.

> Second, even if it did make someone work on sorting samples, you'd
> have to justify why this was a good thing. A sorted samples collection
> would no doubt be beneficial, but is it _the_ most important thing that
> someone could work on?

Uoti, when will you learn that this way of arguing is just plain wrong?
If i'd take that argument seriously, i would need work on the really
important stuff and let natsuki rot until it becomes the most important
thing... by which time, it'll be mostly unusable for anyome.
No, really that doesnt work. I rather spend every week an hour to
keep natsuki up and running instead of working on "important things".

> Who'd in practice do the sorting, and would that
> person be able to do something more important instead?

We have volunteers who'd do that... if other people wouldnt
stand in their way.

> Is organizing the
> samples important enough to artificially make it urgent, likely to
> unnecessarily conflict with people's schedules, just to get them to work
> on it?

IMHO yes.

> To me this looks like a case of a fairly common fallacy: after you
> recognize a flaw in something it bothers you and you feel you have to
> somehow fix it,

You scratch where it itches.

> failing to recognize that equivalent effort would bring
> greater benefits elsewhere.

The gratest benefit to humankind would be to bring peace to everyone.
Yet, you dont work on this. Why is this? Don't you see that it
would be much more important? It would make life so much easier for
everyone! Children could go to school wihtout fearing to be shoot!
Fathers could stay at home instead of being killed on the battle field!
Why dont you work on this? Why do you occupy yourself with the
petty matters of MPlayer instead working for the greater good of humankind?

> I don't consider the advantages of sorting
> samples over just deleting the oldest ones to be significant enough to
> make it a top priority thing to do.

_You_ dont consider it. _Others_ do!
Please learn that not everyone is thinking the same way you do.
That not everyone has the same priorities.

> And even if more work on organizing
> the samples would be beneficial, endangering the ability to upload new
> samples for that is a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

That's your opinion.

				Attila Kinali

--
Moslems sind hier nicht erwünscht!