[MPlayer-dev-eng] GPU encoding support

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Dec 14 19:31:42 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 15:16 -0200, Alexandre Atoji wrote:
> I'm going to the last year of my computer science course and next year I
> have to make a one-year work to finish it. I was thinking to add GPU support
> for mencoder as this work.
> Is this feature useful to mplayer community?

Whether a GPU encoder is useful depends on whether it is competitive
with existing software encoders in speed and resulting encode quality.

Trying to write an encoder as an extension to MEncoder would IMO be a
bad idea. MEncoder is mostly unmaintained and in bad shape. It's better
to write a standalone encoder and then handle integration into other
software later (if the encoder is actually worth it).