[MPlayer-dev-eng] Patch on packman (ao_pulse)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Dec 11 18:18:01 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:52:05AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:07:13AM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> >
> > A patch was posted on packman mailing list, I cannot comment on the usefulness:
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.package-management.packman/3405
> >
> > Please comment, Carl Eugen
>
> Please attach patches so that commenting becomes easier...
>
> I've pasted the patch inline - Reimar?

This was discussed previously and I think some of my questions were not
answered, leaving me to conclude that while it may work it wasn't
really understood.
The questions left open in particular are:
- Why do we (still) have a global volume variable?
- Why do things break when the pa_cvolume_reset call is removed?
Now, going by the source the later is since a volume variable must
be initialized first before it can be used, and the pa_cvolume_reset
seems to be the only reasonable way to do it, however I don't know
if that is the intended way since as usual me and whoever writes the
pulseaudio documentation have a serious communication issue (one of the
reasons why I dropped maintainership of ao_pulse).