[MPlayer-dev-eng] ALSA issue, r29549 fix seems incomplete

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Tue Dec 1 21:56:13 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 21:01 +0100, Sylvain Bertrand wrote:
> > Is the issue that _all_ calls are rounded to 0, and as a result
> > no sound plays?
>
> Indeed.
>
> To narrow down the real issue:
>   - What is the purpose of "ao_data.outburst"?
>   - What does make mandatory the amount of bytes passed to the play
> function more than "ao_data.outburst"?

Normally ao_alsa.c will pick parameters that make the total ALSA buffer
size a multiple of the outburst value, and so if no audio is yet queued
the amount of free space (the whole buffer) should be more than
outburst. MPlayer will then queue an amount corresponding to the free
space at once (up to a limit of 64 KiB, but I think you shouldn't hit
that with the default parameters).

If you start MPlayer with the -v switch what does the part corresponding
to the quote below say?

alsa-init: got buffersize=65536
alsa-init: got period size 1024
alsa: 48000 Hz/2 channels/4 bpf/65536 bytes buffer/Signed 16 bit Little Endian