[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Support for 8 channel audio

Jason Tackaberry tack at urandom.ca
Wed Aug 19 01:59:02 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 21:16 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> If you have the time, check the source for [6].

Done, as well as a few other terms.  I didn't see any other code that
needed updating, although I did catch a comment in af_volume in need of
a minor correction.

I saw something potentially concerning in libavcodec/audioconvert.c: the
signature for av_audio_convert() suggests it assumes 6 channels, but in
practice it looks fine.  The only place that uses it is
libavcodec/resample.c and passes it sufficiently sized arrays.

> I think at least ao_dsound chantable[6] and ao_openal sppos[6][3] need
> fixes.
> I'd be grateful if you can test an fix them, but if not just making them
> error out with more than 6 channels should be ok.

dsound would be take considerable effort to test, so I updated it to
error on more than 6 channels.

I had a quick look at openal, but it doesn't seem to work for me at all
(hangs on playback) even for 2 channel content.  Regardless, it doesn't
look like it needs updating, because it defines and uses its own
MAX_CHAN constant and errors out appropriately.