[MPlayer-dev-eng] I'd rather remove gmplayer from the mplayer package

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Tue Apr 21 12:23:48 CEST 2009

CC'ing mplayer-dev-eng for input.

Context: We are currently discussing here the debian package of
mplayer. The question is about mplayer-gui/gmpayer. Currently both gui
and non-gui versions are shipped in the same package. Should the gui
version of mplayer be included in the debian package at all, or only in
a seperate package?

Cesare Tirabassi <norsetto at ubuntu.com> writes:

> With the current status of the gui as shipped by mplayer upstream (old,
> buggy and unmaintained, mplayer upstream is actually recommending it to
> not be distributed) and with the excellent standalone gui's we have
> today (smplayer, kmplayer, gnome-mplayer, etc.) it really doesn't make
> any sense to have the gui included in the mplayer package.
> Instead of adding an mplayer-nogui package I think that it would really
> makes sense to remove the gui from the mplayer package and, if really
> deemed necessary, have an mplayer-gui (or gmplayer) package which
> includes the deprecated gui.

I think this is an interesting point.

Diego, Andrea, how do you feel about that? We could save quite some
depenendencies from the mplayer package by just dropping
mplayer-gui/gmplayer.

Is the state of mplayer-gui/gmplayer really that bad as Cesare suggests?

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4