[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fixes/enhancements to vdpau

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Fri Apr 10 20:05:58 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 19:00 +0200, Dan Oscarsson wrote:
> On 2009-04-09 at 22:03 +0300 Uoti Urpala wrote:
>
> > You'd need to add a way to modify the length of the audio stream when
> > it's going out of sync, adding or removing a given amount of samples,
> > without distorting the sound too badly.
>
> That I could do to have audio sync to video but in this case I want to
> sync video to the vsync rate so that the movie is in sync with the
> vsyncs. I see no way I can go into the audio parts of mplayer and try to
> modify length of audio stream - I have not the time and do not think it
> would work well.

Why wouldn't it work? I think it would work better than trying to
estimate the exact clock drift in advance.

>  My current solution to change the movie speed to match
> the vsync speed (when they are nearly the same) works very well without
> any distortion of sound or video.

Changing playback speed does modify the audio stream. Without any
configuration it uses the "lavcresample" resampling filter. If the user
has enabled the "scaletempo" filter then that will be used. The
"resample" filter is also possible, but I'm not sure why you'd want to
use that.