[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fixes/enhancements to vdpau

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Thu Apr 9 21:22:50 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 14:25 -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 19:47 +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > VO-specific functionality to allow fast overlay updates. You insisted on
> > a completely VO-independent implementation, an approach which I
> > considered unreasonable as you were willing to accept more important
> > drawbacks such as requiring the use of -nodouble.
>
> Although I readily admitted that the requirement of -nodouble was broken
> and temporary, and had said that I would work to address that once I
> submitted the overlay patch for comment.

You said it was "labeled as a bug", but also "But even if it's not
fundamentally fixable, it seems to me to be an acceptable tradeoff
between double buffering and fps-independent overlay, which is a
decision the user can make".

> The discussion died after the consensus of the core developers (notably
> you, Michael, and Rich) was that the VF should just be responsible for
> overlaying per frame, and any guarantees of latency be implemented as
> VO-specific extensions.
>
> I did not reject this suggestion.  I merely went away to regroup.

One of your last mails in the thread said "being vo-independent is a
requirement" and the later ones did not say anything different, so it
certainly looked that way.

> > about your new implementation that not only requires VO-specific
> > support but in fact only works with one custom VO.
>
> If all other things were equal, it certainly would be inconsistent of me
> to have an implementation that works with one custom VO.
>
> But basically nothing is equal, and the new approach is completely
> different from before.  I have come to realize that the philosophy of
> using MPlayer as what is effectively a display manager is fundamentally
> flawed.

Whatever your new implementation approach, it's still a fact this (being
able to use any fringe VO) was the one issue that seemed to prevent any
agreement, and your opinion on it has since turned around completely.