[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fixes/enhancements to vdpau

Jason Tackaberry tack at urandom.ca
Thu Apr 9 14:58:05 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 05:17 +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 14:56 -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> > is relevant if we ever hope to have those changes merged: experience has
> > taught me the MPlayer hackers do not like it when patches touch core
> > areas like timing. :)
>
> If you mean the "periodic update" stuff you proposed earlier, there were
> major reasons not to like that other than "what areas of code it was
> touching".

What I previously said wasn't a backhanded comment against you.

Let me rephrase the point I was making: in my estimation, the fact that
it touched core timing code means that you were (rightfully) much more
critical and skeptical of it.  In contrast, the submission of a new vf,
say, would very likely undergo less scrutiny because the range of impact
(or damage) is limited.

In any case, no hard feelings.  I understand now the problems with the
periodic update stuff, and regardless the whole overlay approach I
wanted to take is a bit obsolete given what today's hardware can do.

Cheers,
Jason.