[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fixes/enhancements to vdpau

Dan Oscarsson Dan.Oscarsson at tietoenator.com
Mon Apr 6 13:22:47 CEST 2009

As I have not gotten any comments on my latest patches I have continued
with them and added some more enhancements.

Looking at a movie under the difficult case of running my tv at 23,976hz
I can now get only 1-3 frame drops during entire movie. The dropped
frames normally occur during first 10 frames as it takes some frames
before mplayer's processing stabilises.

This is much better then the current version that easily gets audio
audio out of sync.

As it now feels stable and works well on the systems I have, it would be
good to get it into mplayer so I do not have to apply them every time.

My patches include:
  - an option to vdpau: max-delay
    which if set to 0 results in 2 output surfaces and working
    like current code.
    if set will drop frames if a frame would be delayed longer
    then given value. the number of output surfaces will be adjusted to
    match.
    by default will select suitable delay (will be larger if
    de-interlacing is used).

  - a global option: match-vsync-speed
    that will change speed of movie to vsync speed (if nearly the same).
    this allows movies to be shown with less frame dropping.

  - a global option: card-time-correction
    that gives correction that is needed to correct that graphics card
    have a time that have a different speed then system time.

  - an option to vdpau: time-corr
    which measures card time and prints correction value at end of
    movie. To be used with option: card-time-correction

  - fixes so resizing window do not flash a lot (but I have not fixed
    flash due to destruktion/creating of new output surfaces
    on resize - can be fixed quite easy).

It works fine on my tv and my computer monitor, with both overlay and
blitting.

What do you think - shall we add my patches or not?

I cannot use current version on my tv as audio will get out of sync with
vdpau and with xv I get tearing.

   Dan