[MPlayer-dev-eng] Proposal: New automatic/assisted logo removal library.

Tim Hutt tdhutt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 23:43:58 CEST 2008

Greetings mplayer people.

With the recent release of VLC 0.9.2 and its new logo removal filter,
I suddenly remembered how tedious it is to set up mplayer's logo
removal. You have to manually enter the logo's coordinates and even
then can only remove a square region. The inpainting isn't great
either. I haven't played much with VLC's version but you need to type
in the coordinates for that too.

Anyway, having as I do access to the web of knowledge, I downloaded a
few papers on automatic logo removal. There doesn't seem to be that
much literature on the subject but I found some. The algorithms don't
look that complicated and one claims to be able to automatically
detect and remove semi-transparent animated logos.

Would anyone be interested in implementing these algorithms in a new
library - say liblogoerase (I'm a fan of descriptive names) - and
integrating it into mplayer & VLC? Alternatively, if I do it on my
own, what should the API look like?

Thoughts? Comments?

-Tim