[MPlayer-dev-eng] An attempt at libmplayer

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Sep 17 09:20:23 CEST 2008

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 19:45:02 +0300
Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 09:29 +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > The SVN repo is the official repo and if we talk about HEAD
> > it means HEAD of the SVN repo. The git repo is Uotis personal
> > repo where he works on different stuff to be merged later into
> > the SVN repo.
>
> I don't intend to merge things from it to the Subversion repository, but
> rather to eventually replace the Subversion repository with a Git
> repository based on that branch. I expect some developers to oppose the
> switch and some of the changes I've made,

You can be quite sure that such a switch would be highly opposed
by most of the developers, if it has not properly discussed before.

> but I also expect them not to have a competitive alternative.

This stentence has a lot of arogance in it. I hope
it is not intended that way and that you mean something different
than your words say, because otherwise you will alienate everyone
one else on the team.

> Even switching to Git for the "main" repository would not necessarily
> require dropping Subversion immediately though. It would be easy to keep
> a mirror of the Git state in Subversion (though Subversion could not
> represent all the history), and possibly even allow making commits to a
> SVN branch (they'd need to be manually merged to git, but that could
> still be simpler than sending patches in case there is someone not yet
> familiar with git who has nontrivial changes).

Switching to git or something else isn't a problem at all,
at least technically. But the developers have to agree on it.

			Attila Kinali

--
A strange game.
The only winning move is not to play.