[MPlayer-dev-eng] MNG support for MPlayer

Stefan Schuermans stefan at blinkenarea.org
Mon Sep 15 20:48:07 CEST 2008

Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 15:44 +0200, Stefan Schuermans wrote:
>> With other words: I did not find out how to change the
>> interval after which MPlayer calls the fill_buffer callback. Can you
>> point me at some documentation regarding this or at another demuxer that
>> does that?
>
> A demuxer stream does not need to have a frame rate. You only need to
> set the correct timestamp for the frames (the pts field of demuxer
> packets). The changes between timestamps can be arbitrary.
>
> Calls to the fill_buffer callback are not really timed (though they of
> course depend somewhat on how often new frames are required). MPlayer
> calls it at some point to get the next frame, and then later times the
> display of that frame according to the timestamps.

Thank you for this tip.

I've now found the "DEMUXER_CTRL_CORRECT_PTS" control call I've been
missing so far and I think I was able to convert the MNG demuxer to
dynamic framerate. But I've implemented a minimum framerate of 5 fps
because output shows some odd behaviour if the framerate is much slower,
e.g. when moving X11 output window.

(Btw: This control call seems to be missing in the GIF demuxer?!?!)

The other issues mentioned so far are also fixed now, except I'm still
not using the MNG library refresh callback. I've added more comment text
why I did it another way.

The diff attached has been done against current svn version.