[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] towards working shared libav* support, part 2

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Sep 14 14:29:47 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 01:04:30PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 12:46, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:27:14PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > IMHO MPlayer should only use public libav* API or libav* should be modified
> > > to export more stuff to public API.
> >
> > Generally yes, but what is the point of stupidly copying a non-public
> > API header from FFmpeg instead of just using it directly?
> > The only arguments I can see so far is:
> > 1) you can just rm -rf libav* (IMO a stupid idea, but not sure what will
> > be the best solution)
>
> Why stupid?

Because if it is indeed necessary/a good idea to do something like this, and
we intend to support it, it should be a make target or a script in our
tree.
And in both cases, it is no problem to e.g. delete all files except the
two internal headers or so that MPlayer needs.
I assume that this is possible without the installed FFmpeg picking up
the MPlayer ones, I forgot where exactly FFmpeg puts the installed
ones...

> > 2) we do not have to immediately keep up with FFmpeg changes to these
> > files.
> >
> > Though I consider 2) a disadvantage.
>
> Look, I'm not saying we should copy bswap.h and intreadwrite.h to MPlayer.
> I only gave a (admittedly not optimal) solution. As I said, I think either
> MPlayer should be fixed not to use these two headers or FFmpeg should
> somehow export them. Måns said he had plans for doing the latter, though
> I imagine it's not a simple task.

Well, you are so far suggesting to use a copy of them instead of just
using them directly, and that's what I just consider pointless.