[MPlayer-dev-eng] An attempt at libmplayer

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Sep 11 16:48:27 CEST 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:30:45 +0200
Reimar Doeffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> > BTW: having MPlayer as a library would be a possible solution
> > to our long outstanding GUI problem.
>
> Huh? Our "GUI problem" is that we have an incredibly badly coded
> include GUI nobody cares to maintain, I do not see a libmplayer
> changing that.

As in "it would allow us to make it a lot easier to create
an official gui that isn't bound by the problems of the slave
interface and finaly let us remove that broken shit that calls
itself gui"

> Neither do I see it solve the problems that e.g. smplayer has due
> to the official GUI interface (aka slave mode) not being
> well-maintained.

The slave interface has various problems that are hard to
adress using the current design.

> Personally, I find it very funny how there are people who praise
> the approach of some web browsers to use many different processes
> as the greatest thing since whenever while here we mostly get
> people complaining about having to launch a separate process

Uhm.. could you calm down a bit? I'm not proposing that we
go the chrome way and throw away everything that we established
over the past years to follow a hype created by some people who
have no technical clue whatsoever.

What i would like to see adressed here is to have the most
broken subsystem that we are carrying around for years now
to be completely removed so that we can easy the burden of
maintenance on us.

> (and yes
> having both available of course would be nicest, I just wonder who
> will keep them working, not even speaking of API/ABI issues).

More than half of our code isn't maintained, so this shouldnt
be much of an (additional) issue anyways ;-)
Also having something like libmplayer might attract some developers
that would otherwise use xine or, Allah forbid, gstreamer. If nothing,
it would raise the awarenes level of other developers about MPlayers
internals.

			Attila Kinali

--
A strange game.