[MPlayer-dev-eng] An attempt at libmplayer

Santanu Sinha santanu.sinha at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 14:48:33 CEST 2008

Hi,
My comments inline:

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
> There is only one reason for it not being done until now:
> All those people who attempted to create a library out of
> MPlayer did it only half heartedly and produced something
> that was barely working for their and only their application.
> None went all the way and made all internal functions of MPlayer
> safe to be integreated into a library. After pointing out those
> problems everyone just simply disapeared and was never heard of
> again.

The difference is that I do not have any particular application in
mind. So, I do not have any particular agenda to meet.

> So, if you really want to build a library out of MPlayer you
> have to first get rid of all global variables (though Uoti did
> quite a good job there already), make all subsystems reentrant
> and thread safe and last but not least, get the changes back to
> us so it can be integreated into our repo.
>
> Of course, you dont have to do everything in one big step, but
> the end goal should not be forgotten and you have to work closely
> together with the people responsible for the various subsystems you
> have to touch.

If you see my patch you will see that I have already started to
factorize the code from top down manner. The main global variable
mpctx (of type struct MPContext) has already been localized except for
in one particular function. Most of the other globals are options. I
will work on them, but that means a modification of the config
parsers. I would like to finish with the factorization for mplayer.c
before touching anything else unless absolutely unnecessary. This
would let us identify and segregate functionality for different API's
in the library.

> BTW: having MPlayer as a library would be a possible solution
> to our long outstanding GUI problem.

Yes, I was reading through the archives.

Regards,
Santanu