[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] upgrade license on LGPL 2 files

Aurelien Jacobs aurel at gnuage.org
Thu Sep 11 13:37:46 CEST 2008

Robert Swain wrote:

> 2008/9/11 Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
> > On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 07:41:11AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >> The following files are licensed as LGPL 2 or later, not LGPL 2.1 or
> >> later:
> >>
> >> libvo/vo_gif89a.c
> >> libvo/vo_directfb2.c
> >> libvo/vo_quartz.h
> >> libvo/vo_dfbmga.c
> >> TOOLS/dvd2divxscript.pl
> >> libmpdemux/demux_avs.h
> >> libmpdemux/demux_avs.c
> >>
> >> I propose that we upgrade to LGPL 2.1 or later on these files in order
> >> to reduce the number of licenses used in our code base.
> >
> > Since I am hearing no objections, I will do this after the weekend.
>
> Hmm. Have you contacted authors individually? It seems wrong to me to
> alter the license without all authors' explicit consent.

The respective authors already explicitly allowed such a change (by
using "or later" in their original license). So it's not needed to
contact them (still it would be more polite).
I guess the reason Diego asked here is to ensure there isn't any
strong disagreement about it from any developer.
And for the record, I'm OK with this re-licensing.

Aurel