[MPlayer-dev-eng] [BUG] libass: Japanese font with '@'-Prefix rendered wrong

Tobias Diedrich ranma+mplayer at tdiedrich.de
Mon Sep 8 21:31:28 CEST 2008

Hi,

I noticed that libass renders japanese 'top to bottom' text wrong:

This is what mplayer does:
http://uguu.de/~ranma/macrossf_18_lunar_mkv_libass_bug.png

This is Aegisub (which for some unknown reason renders 声 as the
completely wrong character even though it's ok in the script...):
http://uguu.de/~ranma/macrossf_18_lunar_mkv_substationalpha.png

Apparently, if a japanese fontname starts with @, the @ is stripped
and all characters of the font are prerotated by 90 degree.
This only happens for CJK characters though:
http://uguu.de/~ranma/macrossf_18_lunar_mkv_substationalpha2.png

Here are two screenshots of the font dialog to illustrate that:
Font with @-Prefix (Note the sample area (サンプル)):
http://uguu.de/~ranma/macrossf_18_lunar_mkv_substationalpha3.png
Same font without @-Prefix:
http://uguu.de/~ranma/macrossf_18_lunar_mkv_substationalpha4.png

This is the fansubs I used for the screenshots and where I extracted the
script+fonts from:
http://a.scarywater.net/lunar/%5BLunar%5D%20Macross%20Frontier%20-%2018%20%5B1280x720%5D%5Bx264%5D%5BBF46689A%5D.mkv.torrent

I had a cursory glance at the code and I think it might be a bit
more involving to add rotation based on fontname (and so far I haven't
found the time to dig into the code a bit more), so I'm posting it
to the list now. :)

HTH,

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.uguu.de