[MPlayer-dev-eng] Directed Fuzzing for Mplayer

Vijay Ganesh vganesh at csail.mit.edu
Wed Oct 29 02:00:03 CET 2008

Hi All,

I have written an automatic bugfinding tool (based on directed fuzzing) that can
automatically crash C programs. I have managed to automatically find 5 bugs that
cause program-crashes in Swfdec, an Adobe Flash player, and a PDF reader, MuPDF
(aka Sumatra PDF). However, to improve my research I would like to work on more
applications like MPlayer.

An important first step in my research is to understand the already known bugs
in the various versions of the application-under-test (currently MPlayer). To
do this I looked up the  following website:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mplayer/

I found several program-crashes described at the above website (about 25% of all
bugs reported are program-crashes). However, the associated input files are not
available in most cases. I tried searching on the internet, but these files
seem to be found nowhere. I am assuming the MPlayer developers might have some
crashing inputs.

Request 1: I was wondering if you could forward me some of these MPlayer
crashing inputs (mpeg files, cda files etc.). This would greatly help my
research.

Request 2: It would also be very helpful if you could forward me a suite of
tests on which MPlayer works without any problems.

Thanks for your help,

Warm Regards,
Dr. Vijay Ganesh,
Research Scientist,