[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Make lavf a default demuxer for mpeg ts streams

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Fri Oct 17 16:27:17 CEST 2008

Hello,

current version of native mpegts demuxer has some drawbacks:

1) It isn't able to detect fps for at least some h264 streams,
where lavf demuxer works fine. Details are in this thread:
http://archives.free.net.ph/thread/20081014.080826.55c7719d.en.html

2) Native demuxer doesn't support Dirac codec embedded in mpegts at
all. You can check it on this samle:
http://dirac.kw.bbc.co.uk/download/video/maybefinal/diracpromo-tr2200.ts

Adding Dirac support with proper fps decetion to this demuxer will
require to write libmpdemux dirac demuxer. Afaik, mplayer is
moving towards libavformat demuxers instead of libmpdemux and this
is mentioned at libmpdemux/demuxer.c:84. Therefore I see no way
fix second issue with mpegts without broking this rule.

Thus I propose to make lavf demuxer a default one for mpeg ts
streams, because of its wider functionality. An attached patche do
this. Of course, old demuxer will be available if libavformat's
one will fail/be unavailable for some reason or if mpegts demuxer
will be specified explicitely.

I tested it on my selection of mpegts samples, no drawbacks were
found. However, this limited sampling does not include all
possible cases. So, are there any suggestions or objections to
apply?

--
Best regards,
Andrew