[MPlayer-dev-eng] ASS/SSA discussions

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Oct 12 23:23:21 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 10:24:41PM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> On 9/24/08, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 01:06:00AM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> >>
> [..]
> > It seems you missed my past comments ...
> > What ffmpeg is heading toward is
> > * the demuxers return subtitle packets like any other packet
>
> Here is THE huge problem.
> What does mkv.ass demuxer should return as packet?
>
> No really, this is how the discussion started.
>
> Aurel idea is that the mkv demuxer should take the subtitle packet,
> convert it into file.ass line. This is done so whatever the next stage
> is, it should handle only the already existing file.ass format.
>
> The previous situation was that the packet was returned in the way it
> was stored.
>
> Should I understand the above text as an indication that you are in favor of
> reverting Aurel changes from the lavformat mkv demuxer?

The convertion has to be done somewhere, or mkv <-> ass/nut will not work
iam not asking for aurels code to be reverted. It though may be possible
to have the mkv demuxer return the packets unchanged and have a bitstream
filter convert them, but again iam not asking for that,
its just an alterantive (and one needing a way to know the timeing that
mkv removed).

> > * the subtite decoder decodes these packets to a common subtitle structure
> >   (AVSubtitle) containing utf-8 text, timestamps/durations, positions,
> >   effects, bitmaps, font references, ...
>
> Sounds reasonable.
>

> > * A common subtitle renderer renders these so they can be displayed or
> >   a subtitle encoder encodes them to a possibly diferent format again.
>
> I prefer the term decoder ;)

that might lead to confusion when you talk with me :)

the idea really is that a decoder would produce a "raw" format and that would
for subtitles be something vector based.

[...]

No human being will ever know the Truth, for even if they happen to say it
by chance, they would not even known they had done so. -- Xenophanes