[MPlayer-dev-eng] Direct 3D Windows VO

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Nov 21 19:54:14 CET 2008

Hello,
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 06:55:05PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:46:22AM -0800, Olivier Chalouhi wrote:
> > we ran an opengl "test" on our user base, and about 40% of our users
> > don't have an advanced enough opengl driver to playback videos.
> > For some reasons, some default windows drivers have proper directx /
> > direct3d support but not opengl, even though the card should be able
> > to handle it.
> >
> > That's why we can't go with openGL (asking our users to update their
> > video card drivers is not an option for us).
>
> Um, Vista emulates OpenGL via Direct3D. Obviously you can't use the
> advanced commandline above, but just -vo gl should still work (since I
> do not have such a card I have never tested Vista's OpenGL emulation I
> admit).

I would like to add that I actually found out that up to about 1024x1024
resolution -vo gl works (and with "acceptable" speed) with Server 2008
under VirtualBox virtualization, whereas vo_direct3d does _not_ work.
I admit I do not know for sure why, possibly the problem is that
hardware acceleration is requested so the init fails while it would work
as well as OpenGL if requesting software (there seems to be no "give me
whatever you have" option?).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger