[MPlayer-dev-eng] Removal of backing store

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 14:42:58 CET 2008

On 9/20/08, Stephane Marchesin <marchesin at icps.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi>
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 15:30 +0200, Stephane Marchesin wrote:

>>> Not 1.5 but 1.6. Btw mplayer played a good part in convincing us :)
>>
>> I think you confused the changes. It should be disabled in MPlayer
>> because of 1.5.0; Xorg is apparently planning to remove it completely in
>> 1.6.
>>

> No I didn't confuse things. I'm an X.Org developer, and we want to
> remove backing store in 1.6 because it doesn't make much sense to have
> it these days with composite managers, and applications like mplayer
> misuse it.

Reading your mail and the information from the forum
brings only despair in my soul.

I am not following X development closely, I'm blatantly ignorant
about all problems and amazing new things done.

I had got the impression that composite is actually
form of backing store, as each window have a bitmap
representation that could be manipulated by the composite manager.

Having backup of the backup is absurd.

However backing store is supposed to be something different,
it should mean that the bitmap representation is kept when
the windows is not visible. Or restoring area covered by another window.

No need for backups of backups. Composite already does this.

I'd really like good, simple and clear explanation of xorg internals.
The composite have been major PITA for video playback from the very start.

e.g. I don't see why xorg don't make a flag that says "composite manager should never make this windows transparent" and fix the overlay breakage in a clean way.