[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Proposal regarding cleaning up our samples collection

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Tue Nov 4 21:50:33 CET 2008

Hi,

As I mentioned recently on ffmpeg-devel, I have taken on the job of
reorganizing and maintaining our samples collection at
samples.mplayerhq.hu.

Before I actually start working on it, I want to share the following
proposal with the developers on both ffmpeg-devel and mplayer-dev-eng. It
has been based on the ideas put forward by Aurelien and Michael.

Filename conventions: ( [] means optional, "" means literal )

[issue000001-]container-vcodec-acodec-[subtitles-]filename.extension
[issue000001-]"image"-format-filename.extension

Accompanying text files will have the same filename with the .txt extension.

Directory layout:

all         // contains all the actual files

// All other directories contain symlinks to the files in all

issues
    issue000001
    issue000002
container
    containerx
    containery
vcodec
    vcodecx
    vcodecy
acodec
    acodecx
    acodecy
subtitles
    subtitlesx
    subtitlesy

et cetera.

Example:

all/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi
issues/issue000001/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
container/avi/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
vcodec/mpeg4/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
acodec/mp3/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
subtitles/ass/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@

In case there is a *.txt file, it will be linked from the same places.

I could extend the hierarchy by subdividing the subdirectories further.
For example:

all/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi
issues/issue000001/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
container/avi/mpeg4/mp3/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
vcodec/mpeg4/avi/mp3/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
acodec/mp3/avi/mpeg4/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
subtitles/ass/avi/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@

This will increase the number of symlinks dramatically, but makes it easier
to find a certain combination of container and codecs.

After we have settled on a common filename convention and directory layout,
I will setup a framework of a few scripts and apply them to the current
mess. After that, I'll keep maintaining the collection manually. I don't
think a cronjob for automation is necessary, at least not anything beyond a
script that sends me an e-mail when new files have arrived in incoming.

Any comments, suggestions, opinions?

I hope this discussion won't take too long though, as I would like to get
started and don't lose the momentum :)

--Ivo