[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer 1.0rc2 and ALSA 1.0.9, very slow (-nosound help)

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Fri May 30 08:11:06 CEST 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008, Jason Zhang (SRC) wrote:
> Is CPU use maxed during the slow playback? If it is, is MPlayer the
> process using the CPU? Does the same high CPU use occur when playing
> audio-only files too?
>
> Yes, MPlayer use 100% CPU time, but 98% is system time, only 2% is user
> time. If I play an mp3 file, it also takes 100% CPU time. 99% is system
> time.

And just in case, are you using '-ac ffmp3' or '-ac mad' decoder
instead of '-ac mp3'? Floating point decoders are bad for the devices
without hardware FPU, you are better to avoid them (especially if
floating point math is handled via traps and emulation in the kernel
and not with the calls to the emulation library).

--
Best regards,
Siarhei Siamashka