[MPlayer-dev-eng] separate infrastructure patch?

Bryan Henderson giraffedata at gmail.com
Fri May 30 04:38:54 CEST 2008

I need some advice on submitting a large enhancement.  Should
infrastructure changes that (supposedly) have no functional effect by
themselves be submitted separately?  Is it better to submit in pieces
or all at once?

I am working on television closed captions.  Interpreting them from
the MPEG files produced by IVTV and displaying them via OSD.  The
patch runs into thousands of lines, but mostly in separate modular
files.  Only a smattering of changes to existing files would be needed
if they were structured amenably.  I'd prefer to submit patches to do
that structuring first, but would anyone take them that way, since
they serve no immediate purpose alone?

I've attached an example.  This creates the function demux_flush().
Five parts of Mplayer have to flush the various demuxer streams (as
when the user seeks).  They flush them individually, and not all the
same way.  This patch replaces that with five calls to demux_flush(),
which flushes all the streams.

This matters to closed captioning, because the closed caption stream
is one more thing that has to be flushed; it makes one place instead
of five for the closed caption patch to patch.