[MPlayer-dev-eng] (no subject)

Todd Huang huangtodd at hotmail.com
Wed May 21 12:44:52 CEST 2008

Hi:

    I am trying to use the mplayer to stream out the encoded data (H.264 video + MPEG-4
AAC audio muxed in TS foramt) captured from the TV tuner card plugged in the PC over the
network.

    By analyzing the PCR value in the PES packets, I found that it was the same as the PTS.
By checking the source code of mpegtsenc.c in the folder of libavformat, I found its value
was fixed to be equal to the value of PTS.

    According to the equations of 2-1 in ISO13818-1,

    PCR(i) = PCR_base(i) * 300 + PCR_ext(i)

    Can anyone tell me where can I find the source code that correctly implements the PCR
setting?

    By the way, is the PCR value essential to the software player? I know the hardware player
uses the PCR to recover the timing of the encoder. How is the PCR used by the software
player? I also noticed that the mplayer utility could play image smoothly even if there was
no PCR value. However, VLC failed to play image if there was no PCR value. Could anyone
know the reason?

    Is there any relation between the PCR value and the PTS/DTS value? I couldn't find any
statement in ISO13818-1 mentioning their relationship (please correct me if I am wrong).
However, VLC fails to play the image if the difference between the PCR and the PTS is
bigger than some limitation.

    Thanks.