[MPlayer-dev-eng] external library encoders used through FFmpeg (was: Re: [MPlayer-cvslog] r26678 - trunk/configure)

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu May 8 01:36:11 CEST 2008

Moving thread to dev-eng, this needs more global coverage.

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 09:50:45PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Wednesday, 07 May 2008 at 00:56, diego wrote:
> >
> > Log:
> > Always enable x264 in libavcodec if x264 is enabled.
>
> Some people (i.e. me) need to disable x264 support in lavc in order to get
> an MPlayer binary which is not linked to libx264 unnecessarily.
>
> And I seem to remember this has already happened in the past. Could you be so
> nice and restore previous behaviour?

The point of this particular series of commits is to find a non-brittle
solution to the problem of new library dependencies entering FFmpeg and
breaking MPlayer.  This part has been solved.

Now the question is how to handle the few libraries that are actually
used through libavcodec.  libamr is only supported through lavc and not
a problem.  However, LIBFAAC, LIBXVID, LIBX264, LIBMP3LAME remain and
are currently not functional.

My questions are: Are these libraries really used through lavc?  Is
there some advantage to doing this instead of using them directly?
What exactly is required for them to work?

Diego