[MPlayer-dev-eng] vo_gl PBO patch ..

Fri May 2 23:21:56 CEST 2008

Hi Reimar Döffinger!

 On 2008.05.02 at 22:30:47 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:

> > Because with ati X1900 and fglrx driver rendering is about 50% slower
> > both with pbodma=1 and pbodma=2 options (compared to pbodma=0 or
> > unpatched mplayer). That's according to mplayer stats, which sometimes
> > doesn't show the right things, but I guess you can believe them in quick
> > and dirty test.
>
> Could you check with my patch as well? Btw. what kind of CPU are you

You know what? It works! Doesn't require -noslices, too (it makes no
difference). CPU usage is at 5% with your patch (4-5%), which is among
the lowest I can get with any video driver.

I never thought about testing it because I thought your patch is like
a simpler version of the original one, and surely simplified version
wouldn't work where original has failed. Seems like I was wrong.

> using? Mine is a dual core, I think this might make a difference...

Yep, mine is dual core too. E6600. Anyway since mplayer can't use more
than one core and fglrx driver doesn't seem to use multiple cores too
(e.g. glxgears either uses up to 100% of a single core while X uses 20%
of the other or they can use single core in 80/20 proportion - with
stupid linux scheduler switching between two modes), I'm not sure it
makes too much difference..

--

Vladimir