[MPlayer-dev-eng] Darkening of picture on most mplayer outputs

Haakon Riiser haakon.riiser at fys.uio.no
Sat Mar 22 17:44:17 CET 2008

[Compn]

> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:43:16 +0100, Haakon Riiser wrote:
>
> >While experimenting with dumping and reencoding picture sequences, I
> >have noticed that there is a significant darkening of the picture on
> >most mplayer outputs.  Here's a simple demonstration:
> >
> >  $ wget
> > http://folk.uio.no/hakonrk/tmp/mplayer-darkening-bug/source.jpg $
>
> just using mplayer mf://source.jpg will show the problem
> -vc ijpg shows correct brightness.
>
> using ffmpeg -f image2 -i source.jpg file.avi
> then mplayer file.avi , it doesnt look like ffmpeg problem
> but my ffmpeg is really old. please check with latest svn ffmpeg/ffplay

Tried 'ffmpeg -f image2 -i source.jpg file.avi' with a svn snapshot
of ffmpeg from yesterday (2008-03-21), and there are no problems
with it:  The brightness is preserved.

So it appears that there's a problem in the interaction
between mplayer and ffmpeg then?  This problem is not limited
to mf://*.jpg, by the way.  I've seen it happen with many other
ffmpeg codecs, such as ffh263.

--
 Haakon