[MPlayer-dev-eng] Proposed support for Kate streams

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 22:52:09 CET 2008

On Tuesday 18 March 2008 00:32:13 Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:20:03PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:04:57PM +0200, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:

> > > Does this mean that the main design goal is these subtitles to be
> > > almost unusable without ogg?
> >
> > I think the design not so much, the implementation in MPlayer is more of
> > a problem though, since the "decoding" is done in the demuxers (support
> > for ogg and mkv is added), instead of in mp_common.h.
> > Probably because demux_ogg still uses the old and broken way of setting
> > subtitles (modifying vo_sub directly instead of creating a proper
> > subtitle stream).
>
> And I also forgot: this means that your patch might be much less helpful
> than you think, since I intend to make the libavformat demuxer the
> default over our one rather sooner than later, and I am rather convinced
> that the FFmpeg developers will not accept a demuxer using an external
> library like libkate (or what you call it, btw. I think the naming is quite
> unfortunate since it collides with the name of a KDE editor, luckily so far
> they have only a libkatepart.so, still seems risky to me though). Which
> means it would have to be redone to move the decoding in
> mpcommon.c or it would only work with an explicit "-demuxer ogg" then.

I think it won't hurt to apply the ogg demuxer part of the patch. Won't make
it any worse, it is an unmaintainable mess already. But as for other
demuxers, I fully agree with you, it's unacceptable. Subtitles should be
exported as binary packets with type='k' and decoded in mpcommon.h.

Sure, I don't like the idea of one more 'just for ogg' subtitle format, but
that should no be a reason to reject a clean, nonintrusive patch, if one is
proposed.

Slightly off-topic, it seems too early to switch to lavf demuxer at least for
ogg and avi: the former does not support seeking to keyframes, and the latter
takes too much time to open because it reads full odml index. On the other
hand, matroska is almost ready for the switch, with only missing feature
being the support of 'default' track attribute, which is not really important
and could be easily implemented anytime.