[MPlayer-dev-eng] [bikeshed] Coding style

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 23:05:19 CEST 2008

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 04:01:06PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:

>>> Most people who prefer tabs actually just do not want to have to
>>> press the space bar many times and prefer pressing tab a few
>>> times less instead.  Of course, a properly configured editor will
>>> take care of this, but who uses such a thing...
>>
>> Even using an editor which does that, I find tabs to be convenient,
>> in that they allow me to jump back one level of indentation in
>> existing code with one keypress rather than with multiple (one per
>> space).
>
> hitting tab moves to the next indent level

Only if you want to add another level of indentation - not if you just
want to move to the next level of indentation in the existing code.

> hitting backspace moves to the previous one

Only if you want to remove a level of indentation - not if you just want
to move to the previous level of indentation in the existing code.

> not sure if you want more?

I want to be able to move the (cursor, edit point, what-have-you) back
to the previous (or up to the next) level of indentation all in one
step, *without* changing the indentation. This is obviously not
necessary, but I have found it a sufficiently nice convenience that it
can be annoying to not have it available.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.