[MPlayer-dev-eng] [bikeshed] Coding style

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Jun 17 23:47:00 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 07:57:08PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:57:13AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > I object, we should agree on the style most developers like best. The style
> > > we would choose is what people here will have to live with for quite some
> > > time. If a overwhelming majority dislikes some detail of K&R it would be
> > > simply wrong to ignore that.
> > > Iam not saying iam against indent -kr style, iam just saying that it is
> > > very wrong to not vote on each issue individually. But rather to bundle
> > > them up in what the person in charge would prefer to see ...
> >
> > These two paragraphs contain so many (unnecessarily) loaded statements
> > that it becomes quite hard not to flame in response.
>
> If one considers every disagreeing statement, loaded ...

Nonsense.  You know very well that you are making a loaded statement if
you speak about "the person in charge" and "overwhelming majorities".

> > Anyway, this thread is marked [bikeshed] for a good reason.  Voting on
> > each issue individually is a recipe for endless bikeshedding.
> > This is not a good idea.
>
> It is a good idea to vote on the exact details of the style that we will have
> to live with in the foreseeable future.

That does not imply that it is a good idea to vote on each detail
individually.

> > This is necessarily about tradeoffs and compromises.
>
> Yes, compromisses and tradeoffs between the developers, not the compromise
> of everyone accepting whatever style uoti picked.

Yes, I'm sure that even if Uoti presented you with a solution for global
warming, you would dismiss it out of hand.

Diego