[MPlayer-dev-eng] Request from Institute for Theoretical and Experimental Physics of Moscow and Russian Foundation for Support of Fundamental Physics

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Tue Jun 17 15:52:13 CEST 2008

Dion Rasmussen wrote:
> This technology does already exist!

Yes but not what you are proposing.

> Simply host your video lectures in Xiph and/or DivX via Apache, and clients
> with Windows Mediaplayer, Mplayer, VLC player, etc. will be able to watch
> and seek instantly over the internet...

No, doesn't work*

* well works with the granularity of about 1s best case and with an
interesting latency..

You may try feng+mplayer-libnemesi and enjoy the fact seeks to the point
you asked in an instant (given a round trip time more than local stored
file)

live.polito.it if you are curious.

We provide also server side composition using a sort of editlist, the
edited resource is still seekable.

lu

--

Luca Barbato