[MPlayer-dev-eng] [bikeshed] Coding style

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Tue Jun 17 02:17:23 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 01:31 +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > The FFmpeg documentation defines the FFmpeg coding style as follows:
> > "The presentation is the one specified by 'indent -i4 -kr -nut'."
> > The -i4 is redundant and -nut means using spaces instead of tabs
> > (doesn't affect the style). The actual style in FFmpeg files varies but
> > AFAIK there are no significant differences from -kr that would be
> > consistently present in almost all files.
>
> FFmpeg coding style is fine for me (and should be more or less what
> Michael and me expressed by examples)

By "FFmpeg style" do you mean something different from standard K&R
style (except for "FFmpeg style" being a lot more vague)? As I wrote
above the only definition of "FFmpeg style" says it is what is produced
by "indent -kr", and practice varies. Michael consistently writes some
things differently (in a way that doesn't match any widely accepted
standard style I know of), but other FFmpeg authors do not share the
same deviations.

If you do mean standard K&R style then it's IMO better to call it that.
If you want to start making exceptions, "K&R except this thing should be
done a bit differently...", then it's going to exactly the kind of thing
I think should be avoided. The style doesn't have to be enforced down to
every detail in every file but any exceptions shouldn't be part of the
style definition itself.