[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer Developer Meeting (was: Re: Commit rules and coexistence rules)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Jun 15 22:10:26 CEST 2008

Moin people,

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 23:23:45 +0200
Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:

> In the cvslog ml you may dig a thread in which we got lots of drama,
> flames and assorted complaints.

I deliberatly choosed to remain silent in public in this matter
until now, because i screwed up big time last year in the very
same issue. But as this continues, i cannot remain silent anymore.

In the beginning, i tried to orchestrate in the background together
with Diego so that the relevant people would come to an agreement.
Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances i wasn't able to attend
to it until the end. Also, for quite some time i didn't want to
read anything about "Uoti did this" "Diego did that" and all that
shit. My free time is way to valuable to me than to waste it for
this kind of unnecessary "controverse", so i didn't read any
MPlayer mailinglists for months...
Now, that i thought i might catch up with some of the things that
went on, i have to say that our attempt to mediate didn't work out.
The problem persists, the issue is unsolved. It even came to the
point where i ask myself whether there aren't better things for me
to do than to waste my time and money for a project that just
eats itself. The whole issue evolved to a point, where i think it
is impossible to resolve it trough normal ways anymore. But it is
imperative for the whole project that these issues get resolved as
soon as possible.

Hence, i call for a general developer meeting until the end of
the year to discuss all the issues that piled up over the last
years and to peacefully resolve them face to face. Eligible is
anyone who has write access to the svn repository of MPlayer at
the time of the meeting.

Time and place are to be defined.
The place should be somewhere in central Europe (most probably
somewhere in Germany, Switzerland or Austria). The time should
be as i said until end of this year to not drag this on forever.

For those developers who have troubles to cover the travel expenses
a donation pool should be opened.

Please answer directly to this mail
* If you want to participate and in which time range you could
  join, ie when you'd have time.
* If you have a suggestion for a place to meet/stay
* If you want to help organizing this meeting

I will try to coordinate the efforts for this meeting as far
as possible.

Thanks

				Attila Kinali

PS: The people who currently have svn write access are:
Alban Bedel
Alexander Strange
Alexander Strasser
Alex Beregszaszi